Pages

Saturday 29 June 2013

Half marathon training plan

So, after my last post I decided to enter the half marathon anyway. I think I had already made my mind up and I've been itching for a new challenge really. Plus, to have run 3 half marathons in 1 year will be pretty awesome considering that last year I only ran 2 10k races.


So, on the 8th September I'll be running 13.1 miles throughout south Warrington. It's only 9 weeks away so training will start in earnest. I've just drafted my training plan. I'm no expert really but I've made this to fit in with my schedule and my current ability. Every Thursday I'll go to running group where we run around 4-5 miles but sometimes change this up. This is also just something to aim for - from previous half marathon training plans I know that sometimes life gets in the way and that I have to skip a work out. But the important thing is I never beat myself up over it. I still managed to finish both races. I'd like to meet a runner who follows a training plan exactly to schedule (other than elite athletes of course!). My main focus will be the long runs, as without building up this distance each week it will be hard to finish in a good time. 

My current PB is 2hrs 5 minutes and while I would like to beat that, I'm also going to realistic as wedding planning will obviously be a priority in the final month also. 

Week Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
1st July Run 10 mins warm up, 10 mins threshold, 10 mins steady. Yoga Gym Running group Rest Rest Run 6 miles
8th July Run 5 x 5 minutes, 2 minutes rest inbetween Rest (Birthday!) Swim am (45 minutes) Running group Run 3 miles easy Rest Run 7 miles
15th July Gym (1 hr) Run 5 x 5 minutes, 2 minutes rest inbetween Strength training Running group Rest Rest Run 8 miles
22nd July Rest Yoga Run 3 mile intervals Running group Run 4 miles easy Rest Run 9 miles
29th July Gym 45 mins Run 7 x 5 minutes, 2 minutes rest inbetween Strength training Running group Rest Park run Run 10 miles
5th August Run 10 mins warm up, 20 mins threshold, 10 mins steady. Swim (45 minutes) Run 6 miles easy Running group Gym (1 hr) Rest Run 11 miles
12th August Gym/Run 7 x 5 minutes, 2 minutes rest inbetween Yoga Rest Running group Rest Rest Rest
19th August Rest Run 10 mins warm up, 20 mins threshold, 10 mins steady. Gym Running group Run 7 miles Rest Run 13 miles
26th August Gym Run 10 mins warm up, 25 mins threshold, 10 mins steady. Strength training Running group

Park run Run 6 miles
2nd Sept Gym Yoga Run 3 miles Running group Rest Rest RACE DAY


This week I also received this ace running tote I ordered from Nicola Rowlands. Yes, yes I do run hills. Lots around Liverpool, it's almost impossible to avoid them where I live actually. The route for the English Half Marathon is also apparently quite undulating so I'll try to incorporate as many hilly routes into my training runs as possible.


I'm actually really excited to start training again and upping the mileage for my next challenge! I'll be recapping each week here and letting you all know how it goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment